Welcome to TanAware.ie, the site dedicated to educating and providing information on the
use of sunlight and sunbeds in Ireland.
Sunshine,Solariums (Sunbeds), and Vitamin D. interview with Dr Michael Holick
Moderation is the KeyRead more about
- Responsible tanning salon procedures
- Recognising your skin type
- Early detection of skin cancer
- Publications about Ultraviolet Light and Vitamin D
Over exposure to UV light can be a bad thing, however, we believe that the health benefits of sensible exposure are so important that we have established this website to help clarify the facts for those who wish improve their health and well-being through sensible exposure to sunlight.
Benefits of Ultraviolet lightUltraviolet (UV) light is essential to good health. Among its many health benefits are:
- Induces the production of Vitamin D in the skin at a rate of up to 1,000 IUs per minute.
- Vitamin D is essential for health in many respects including helping the body absorb calcium, which is vital for bones and the nervous system; strengthening the immune system; and cell growth and insulin secretion
- Helps maintain a healthy blood pressure
- Can be used in the medical treatment of skin conditions such as psoriasis and vitiligo
- Helps relaxation and promotes a feeling of wellbeing.
New Regulation 2014Following the passing of the Public Health (sunbeds) Act 2014 it is now State Law that all persons wishing to use sunbeds must be Over 18 years of age.
We at Bronze Age Tanning support the regulation of sunbed and solarium use and have always adopted a voluntary code of conduct which we hope to promote through this website.
On the negative side, many people and agencies have claimed that the use of a sunbed carries a risk of skin cancer. Dr Holick however, highlights the role of Vitamin D in the protection of the body against many sorts of cancers including colon, breast and prostate.